We ramped up the yum factor in the lemon kitchen this weekend. Feeling sorry for ourselves after sending our girl Cait off, we were in the mood for comfort and goodness.
This lovely applesauce cake with maple buttercream icing did the trick. Two of my favourite things, apples and maple syrup! Our company loved it too!
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour 2 (8 inch) round pans, or 1 (9×13 inch) pan, or 1 bundt pan. Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Blend in the applesauce. Beat in the eggs. Beat in the flour mixture, do not over-mix. Spread batter into pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes for the 8 inch layers, OR approx. 40 minutes for the 9×13 inch pan/bundt pan. Test to see if a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 15-20 minutes before turning out on to cooling rack.
- 1/2 cup soft butter
- 2 tbsp maple syrup at room temperature
- 2-3 tbsp milk at room temperature
- 2-3 cups icing sugar
Combine butter, maple syrup, milk and 2 cups confectioners sugar in a large bowl/ food processor and beat until smooth. Add remaining sugar in gradually until frosting is thick enough to spread easily(you may not use all the sugar). If icing is too dry, add additional milk until desired consistency is reached, whatever works for you.